Study abroad; application for recognition
Study and examination achievements at a foreign university can be recognised.
Academic recognition of studies abroad
Study and examination achievements obtained at foreign higher education institutions are recognised on the occasion of the continuation of studies, the taking of examinations, the commencement of postgraduate studies or the admission to doctoral studies at a higher education institution, unless there are substantial differences with regard to the competences acquired. The question of whether there is a substantial difference is in principle decided by the competent examination board of the higher education institution at which the applicant wishes to continue studies, take an examination, take up (further) studies or do a doctorate. It should be noted that in the case of a rejection of the credit, the higher education institution bears the burden of proof that there is a significant difference with regard to the competences acquired and must justify the rejection.
Special regulations sometimes apply to degree programmes that conclude with a state examination. Please seek advice at the respective university.
Recognition of studies abroad for the purpose of pursuing a professional activity or for other purposes
If you have studied abroad and would like to work in Germany, the decisive factor is whether your profession in Germany is one of the so-called regulated professions. Because only in this case is official recognition of your degree required by law.
A profession is regulated if access to and practice of the profession is tied to proof of a certain qualification by legal and administrative regulations or if the job title is protected by law. In Germany, this includes, for example, medical professions or legal professions, but also teachers at state schools. The respective specified specialist authorities are responsible for the recognition of a qualification. With the "Recognition Finder" (for link, see "Further links"), you can find the authority responsible for your matter with just a few clicks. You will also receive all important information on the procedure. Further advice is available from the telephone hotline of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) on +49 30 1815-1111 (at the usual cost to German landlines).
If the profession is not regulated, official recognition is not required by law, i.e. you can apply directly to the German labour market or become self-employed with your foreign qualification. Nevertheless, an evaluation of your foreign qualification may be useful to enable future employers to better assess your qualifications. If you have completed a university degree, you can apply for a certificate evaluation by the Central Office for Foreign Education (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen, ZAB).
Further information on the recognition of foreign qualifications can be found under"Berufsanerkennung; Beantragung".
Recognition of studies abroad for late repatriates
Persons entitled under the Federal Law on Displaced Persons can apply for recognition of their foreign degree.
Examinations and certificates of qualification from higher education which entitled persons under the Federal Expellees Act have taken or acquired in the resettlement areas are to be recognised if they are equivalent to the corresponding examinations or certificates of qualification in the area of application of the Federal Expellees Act (Section 10(2), Section 7(2) of the Federal Expellees Act).
These authorities are responsible:
- Insofar as the foreign qualification leads to a regulated profession, the respective specified specialist authorities are responsible. With the "Recognition Finder" (for link see "Further links") you can find the authority responsible for your matter with just a few clicks. You will also receive all important information on the procedure. Further advice is available from the telephone hotline of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) on +49 30 1815-1111 (at the usual cost to German landlines).
- Insofar as the foreign qualification leads to a non-regulated profession and is comparable to a German qualification at university of applied sciences level , the Nuremberg University of Technology is responsible.
- If the foreign degree leads to a non-regulated profession and is comparable to a German degree at university level , the Bavarian State Ministry of Science and the Arts is responsible. Under "Forms" you will find the application form with further notes on the procedure and a list of the documents required to carry out the procedure.
Antrag auf Anerkennung einer ausländischen Hochschulabschlussprüfung für Berechtigte nach dem Bundesvertriebenengesetz [File format: pdf]
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
des Bayerischen Staatsministeriums für Wissenschaft und Kunst
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide: Art. 68 Bayerisches Hochschulgesetz (BayHSchG)
- Foreign academic degrees, university titles, and university job titles; Holding of titles
- Foreign school leaving certificate; application for recognition
- Professional recognition; Application
- Spätaussiedler; Informationen zur Anerkennung von Prüfungen und Befähigungsnachweisen zur beruflichen Eingliederung
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wissenschaft und Kunst
Responsible for you
Hochschulen für angewandte Wissenschaften - Fachhochschulen und Technische Hochschulen
Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wissenschaft und Kunst
Alphabetical and hierarchical overview of all procedures.